From meetings with clients to courtrooms and depositions, you’re a lawyer and your time is constrained. Which is why we’d like to ask:
- How do you plan on managing digital marketing for your firm?
- If you already do, just how effective are your digital marketing efforts?
- How many qualified leads have you generated and how profitable have they been?
You’re probably investing a considerable amount of money into digital marketing or are planning to do so, so what can you do to start getting those great cases in your hands?
Begin thinking about structure, strategy, and best practices for your Web, SEO, PPC, and social platforms advertising efforts and most importantly its management. Have a look at some of the best tips we can give based on our experience with an array of legal specialties: Family Law, FDA, Civil Rights, Family, Bankruptcy, Criminal, Personal Injury, Tax Law, and many more.
Below are the best practices all lawyers should know if they want to conquer the digital world:
1. The Power of PPC: A Lawyer’s Best Defense
The reality is that most people do their research online and will not go out of their way looking for the yellow pages or a brochure. Potential clients want precise and intriguing information for what they are looking for and fast. For this reason, PPC is a perfect fit for ensuring you’re found for any potential search related to your firm, with the control on how, when, and where you are seen online.
Down to the Grain: Set Your Budget
Just how can you determine your budget and how much will you have to dish out to get a good start? Knowing your specialty and target location is a first, as it gives you great insight when researching keywords.
Keywords are the most important way to find out how much money you should spend. If you’re basing your cost per click (CPC), and thereby budget, off the wrong keywords then you will end up being overly optimistic in terms of how little budget you need. The good keywords – the ones that attract new customers – are also more expensive than other keywords.
Knowing the average CPC of said keywords can help you calculate how much budget you will need on a monthly basis.
To estimate budgets you can use the keyword planner tool on the Google ads platform. This will provide an estimate of what your daily budget should be with the keywords selected and the location.
The Verdict: Highly-Competitive, Outrageously-Expensive CPCs
Keywords such as “mesothelioma attorneys”, “asbestos attorney”, “injury attorney” can cost up to $190/click. The most competitive specialties are workers’ compensation, personal injury, and criminal law.
Yes, the prices for these clicks can break the bank, but by managing your PPC campaigns with the right strategies and a few time-tested tricks, you are on the road to overcoming high CPCs and budget limitations.
Here are a couple of strategies we have used to combat these issues:
- Testing Broad Match Modifier and Partial Broad Match Modifier Keywords for a lower CPC.
- Full Broad keywords (0 Match Type) and aggressive negative keyword lists. Your negative keyword list should be a universal list, plus cities, states, other specialties, common irrelevant law terms, and competitor names.
- Being in the first spot is not always needed. You would be surprised how much better a second, third, or even fourth Avg. Position can help you generate more leads at a lower cost.
- Make your ads pop giving emphasis with a USP (Unique Selling Proposition) of your firm. Some examples include Free Consultation, No Fees Unless You Win, Available 24/7, Flat Fees, Payment Plans, etc.
Competency in the Mobile Device World
You should also make sure your account is fully optimized for mobile devices. Among the many options for optimizing the mobile ads you have:
- Mobile bid adjustments: Increase or decrease bids depending on mobile device performance.
- Mobile Responsive Site: This is a Google test to check your website is mobile-friendly.
2. Adapt to Voice Search
“Siri, can you…Alexa, how much…Google, where is…Cortana, how far…?”
The future on search is on voice commands. How is voice search different from traditional search? We simply don’t speak the same way that we write, and this is reflected in how our searches are both constructed and conducted. Therefore, to adapt we need to use long-tail keywords, think about frequently asked questions.
To take the most advantage of increased voice search, consider removing negatives such as:
- “how to”
- “near me”
- “when does”
- “where do I”
3. Claim Your Google My Business Listing
Google My Business is your best tool for getting the word out about what you do and where you do it.
Every business has its own profile consisting of a map location on Google Maps, reviews, and photos of the business, a website, contact information and business hours. This is extremely helpful for lawyers since it provides credibility and a quick way to contact you without necessarily going into your website.
On that note, you can also bid on your google my business location to make sure your ad is ranking higher if someone makes a local search.
4. Simple Steps Lawyers Should Take with Web and SEO
Your website should make you want to hire you! Your online presence is what makes or breaks your business, so a website should be high quality, with a good design, and above all, be user-friendly. Did you know that 38% of clients search for lawyers online? Think about it- you could be missing out on valuable traffic online because your website or SEO was not up to par or better than that of your competitors.
Mobile access to your site is CRUCIAL, and you should have a responsive design for any device especially when it’s a given that mobile use for searches is at exponential growth.
The SEO Audit
To pinpoint what you need to crank up your conversion rate and take your marketing efforts to a whole new level, an SEO audit should be the top priority on your list.
A couple of main areas we look at are the following:
Checking domain and page authority, identifying keywords to create metadata, and suggest any recommendations for the home page and additional pages.
Minimalistic and On-Point Designs Go Far
Website design has evolved and so should you. By implementing the following suggestions you are much more likely to get a healthy flow of qualified traffic to your site:
- Incorporate easy to use tabs and vivid colors
- Less text and more visuals
- Avoid wordy paragraphs, and make your website scannable
- Focus clients on your main message. A unique selling proposition tells them what makes you unique as a lawyer
- Be sure to include a Call to Action (CTA) that displays the action you want your potential client to take on your site
- Make sure your Contact Form is readily available on all landing pages
Content Can’t Be King without Quality and Organization
When considering adding videos, blogs, testimonials, press coverage, about you, etc, put yourself in the client’s shoes and think about ways to make it easier on them to decide to hire you. Here are a few other tips:
- Have as few landing pages possible. Make sure they contain brief and to the point information that is easy for anyone to understand.
- Include the latest great case you closed, a short 30-60 second introduction video of yourself highlighting why they should choose you and also some positive testimonials on your homepage.
- Promoting a sense of credibility and professionalism is key:
- Check out your competitors and analyze if you can be doing more to outdo them.
- Avoid colors that will make you look cheap (neon with black, unusual fonts).
- Choose the Best Color Palette for Your Website.
- High-resolution photos are a must, so don’t go cheap and invest, Pictures you took yourself just don’t cut it.
Targeting Specific Keywords For Your Law Specialty
The point is getting your brand name and services ranked for your local area. In order to achieve this, you need to execute an SEO Strategy based on competitor analysis and market research. Here are a few ways to do this:
- Keywords can rank naturally through the page, so by targeting local keywords. using a Keyword+Geo Target can be highly effective. An example of this would be “Personal Injury Lawyer in Miami.”
- Creating unique URLs containing page keyword helps give the user a sense of what they are to expect and relevant to their search query.
Don’t Underestimate the Value of Your Targeted Digital Marketing Strategy
Web, SEO, and PPC, all work separately and together to help your business grow and address its digital marketing needs in all aspects. After these tips, there should be no question as to how to get started in driving qualified clients down your alley and generating the ROI your firm has been longing to achieve.